Sunday, July 4, 2010
View of Bombay from Colaba.-1826
Lithograph of a view of Bombay from Colaba by Jose M. Gonsalves (fl. 1826-c.1842). Plate 1 from his 'Lithographic Views of Bombay' published in Bombay in 1826. Gonsalves, thought to be of Goan origin, was one of the first artists to practice lithography in Bombay and specialised in topographical views of the city.
Bombay was originally composed of seven islands. However, since the 18th century, land reclamation projects joining the islands together have dramatically altered its topography. By 1838, the Island of Colaba was connected to Bombay by a causeway that was only accessible at low tide. In this view, we can see the causeway being constructed with the use of timber. Bombay came under English control as part of the dowry brought to Charles II by the Portuguese princess Catherine of Braganza in 1661. The fort area, shown in this view, was located on Bombay Island.
ST THOMAS CATHEDRAL AND BOMBAY FORT WALLS CAN BE SEEN ON THE LEFT