(FLORA FOUNTAIN & THE CENTRAL TELEGRAPH OFFICE — BOMBAY — YEAR 1864
An exquisitely sculpted monument, Flora Fountain lies at the southern end of Hornby
Road. It cost Rs 47,000 to build in the year 1864. Designed by R Norman Shaw and
sculpted in imported Portland stone by James Forsythe, the fountain was to be named
after Governor Frère, but took on the name of the Roman goddess who formed a part
of the fountain’s design.
The Central Telegraph Office is a heritage structure that is now used as an office complex
by the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. It is more than a century old and is built in the Gothic
style of architecture in stone masonry and wood.