Friday, April 26, 2013

1838-TIMES OF INDIA BOMBAY WAS BORN,AND OTHER PHOTOS OF BOMBAY(NOW MUMBAI)

Thursday, April 25, 2013


1838 -TIMES OF INDIA BORN




An illustration of "The Times of India" office building near Churchgate in Mumbai in 1950.

Churchgate Street, now known as Vir Nariman Road, in the Fort area of Bombay was taken in the 1860s to form part of an album entitled 'Photographs of India and Overland Route'. Churchgate Street runs from Horniman Circle at the east end to what was originally named Marine Drive at the edge of the Back Bay. Churchgate Station,
Church Gate Street, Bombay.
'Times of India'] Building, corner of Elphinstone Cir. - 1880 - Genl. Nassau Lees, Proprietor.-Photographer: E.O.S. and Company Medium: Photographic print Date: 1880-
['Times of India'] Building, corner of Elphinstone Cir. - 1880 - Genl. Nassau Lees, Proprietor.
['Times of India'] Building opposite St Thomas's Cathedral, connected with Elph. Cir. [Elphinstone Circle] - July 1898 - Kane, Bennet & Co.--Photographer: E.O.S. and Company Medium: Photographic print Date: 1898-
['Times of India'] Building opposite St Thomas's Cathedral, connected with Elph. Cir. [Elphinstone Circle] - July 1898 - Kane, Bennet & Co.

Old Glory of Bombay (now Mumbai), India




Times of India Building

THE BOMBAY FORT


VIEW INSIDEBOMBAY FORT;GUNS READY OVER THE FORT WALL
http://www.old-print.com/mas_assets/full2/P1220853/P1220853436.jpg

 


BOMBAIA (BOMBAY IN PORTUGUESE)-16TH CENTURY ENGLISH FORT IN BOMBAY


FORT BOMBAY WITH FORT WALLS 1850
PHOTO BELOW SHOWS:-
THE ORIGINAL CHURCH GATE(GATE NEAR ST.THOMAS CHURCH WHICH CAN BE SEEN IN THE BACK) OF BOMBAY FORT ;LATER CHURCH GATE RAILWAY STATION GOT THIS NAME ;AS IT WAS BUILT NEAR THIS GATE.
THE FORT WAS BUILT AGAINST ENEMIES;SUCH AS PORTUGUESE AND SIDDI SHIPS
THE GATE HAD A BRIDGE BUILT, OVER A MOAT, FILLED WITH WATER ;TO PREVENT ENEMY SOLDIERS



BELOW PHOTO SHOWS
CHURCH GATE STREET OF BOMBAY FORT
[INSIDE VIEW] THE CHURCH GATE ALSO SEEN IN THE DISTANCE.
THE SECOND SHOP FROM CORNER IS 'BOMBAY TIMES1859: Bombay Standard and Chronicle of Western India merges into The Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce to form Bombay Times & Standard --NOW KNOWN AS TIMES OF INDIA NEWSPAPER'[A PALANQUIN IS PARKED IN FRONT OF THE OFFICE ,ALSO A CAPARISONED HORSE

BELOW:-ENGLISH SOLDIERS CAN BE SEEN WITH RED SHIRT ,NEAR HARBOUR GATE .
THE UMBRELLAS OF MANY COLOURS WERE USED BY THE RICH, MORE AS FASHION, THAN AS SUN SHADE.MANY PALANQUINS ALSO SEEN

Scotch Church, Court-House, and entrance to the Dock-Yard [Bombay].--Photographer: Scott, Charles Medium: Photographic print Date: 1850--THE ICE HOUSE NEXT TO THE CHURCH (DOMED STRUCTURE);WHERE ICE IMPORTED BY SHIP WAS STORED;TILL ICE MAKING WAS DISCOVERED ;NEXT BUILDING IS LAW COURT

Photograph from 'Views in the island of Bombay' by Charles Scott,1850s. This is a view looking north along Apollo Street from the Apollo Gate towards the dockyards entrance on the right. The Scotch Church stands in the left foreground, with Hornby House beyond. The classic Georgian style Saint Andrew's or Scotch Kirk was completed in 1819. Hornby House, which initially began as a residence to the Governor Hornby, served as the Law Court until the late 1870s when it became the Great Western Hotel. Between this building and the church, stands the domed Ice-House, erected by subscription in 1843 for the consignments of ice which were imported regularly and sold to the public. When ice began to be manufactured in Bombay the Ice-House lost its purpose and was used as a godown until it was demolished years later.
A PALKHI WALA (PALANQUIN CARRIER)CAN BE SEEN SITTING NEXT TO THE PALKHI ;NEAR CHURCH STEPS.THE ROAD LEADS TO THE 'CHURCH GATE' OF THE BOMBAY FORT WALL



http://oldphotosbombay.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-ice-came-to-india-1833.htmlBombay Castle--Aquatinter: Baily, James (1810-37) Medium: Aquatint, coloured Date: 1809


AN ARTICLE ON 'THE WILD BEASTS OF BOMBAY'1770 T0 1863
above photo of malabar hill forest;below matunga forest 1850's
1783. — The Governor and most of the gentlemen of Bombay go annually on a party of pleasure to Salsette" to hunt the wild boar and royal tiger, both of which we found here in great plenty. — Hector Macneill.

1806, December 17th. — Two gentlemen at 7 a.m. riding towards the bungalows of General Macpherson on the Island of Salsette, near the village of Coorla, two tigers came out of the jungle as if ready to spring, crouched, and were observed to betake themselves to the jungles and hills of Powee, fifty yards in front of the horses.

And in this connection two persons on November 4th were carried off by two tigers from a native village nearly opposite to Powee, near the high road leading from Sion to Tanna. The natives believe the tigers are human beings, and have gold rings in their ears and noses.

One native's body they had sucked all the blood out of it, otherwise not eaten. They took away a herdsman driving his flock.

1819, — There were in all only three deaths recorded in India of Europeans from snake-bites in the years 1817, 1818 and 1819.

1820, December 23rd. — A large lion killed within eight coss from Ahmedabad.

1822, February 9th. — A tiger on Malabar Hill came down, quenched his thirst at Gowalla Tank, and ran off over the hill between the Hermitage and Prospect Lodge. Prints of its feet were distinctly visible this morning.

1828. — At Colaba Ferry a huge shark was observed in proximity to some bathers.

1830, January 13th. — A large hyena is prowling about Malabar Hill on the western side between Mr. Nicol's residence and Vaucluse, " as good sport as a Mazagon tiger." — Bombay Gazette.

1839, June 25th. — Lieutenant Montague, at Colaba, returning from mess, put his foot in a hole, received a slight wound which in twenty-five minutes carried him off. Some jurors thought it was from the bite of a serpent.

1841, September 15 th. — A man bitten by a snake on the Esplanade.
ESPLANADE BOMBAY

*"Scene in Bombay," by Robert Melville Grindlay and R. G. Greeve; London, 1826* (BL)-BEHIND ST.THOMAS CHURCH



BOMBAY 1750'S

BOMBAY FORT-A steel engraving by Allom and Willmore (James S. Virtue Co., London, 1858)

*"View of Bombay showing the fort," from 'History of the Indian Mutiny', 1858*



BOMBAY ST.THOMAS CATHEDRAL



LAUNCH OF SHIP 'MEANEE' WITH 80 GUNS ;AT BOMBAY



BOMBAY DROMEDARY CORPS(BOMBAY CAMEL CORPS);ALSO PICTURE OF A THUG(DACOIT) CHIEF

















































































































MMMMMMM