Church Bells of Vasai Fort

Church Bells of Vasai/Bassein/Ba├žaim Fort

After the Portuguese were defeated by the Maratha forces in 1739, all the churches and almost all the buildings from fortress were destroyed and looted by the Marathas. The bells from the churches were paraded, carried off on elephant backs as victory souvenirs. Number of bells in the fort are unknown but four bells are located. One such Bell was carried to and located at Naroshankar Temple (Source and picture) on the banks of Godavari river in Nasik, Panchavati area. The other church bell is located at Bhimashankar Temple is located in the village of Bhorgiri 50 km north west of Khed (Source and picture). Third bell is located at Meneshwar temple in Menavali near Panchgani (Source and pictures). This bell weighs six hundred and fifty kilograms. The date on the bell shows the year 1707 and has five-alloy bell bears a bas-relief of Mary carrying the infant Jesus Christ cast into it. Fourth church bell is located at Durga Devi temple, Murud (Source and picture)

Church Bell - Naroshanker temple Nasik

Church bell at Naroshankar temple and is called "Naroshankarachi Ghanta"



Church Bell - in Bhimashankar Temple


This church bell is located at Bhimashankar Temple is located in the village of Bhorgiri, near Khed.


Church Bell in Meneshwar temple, Menavali
Church Bell close-up showing Mary with Jesus, Meneshwar temple, Menavali
Bell house at Meneshwar temple, Menavali





Fourth church bell from Vasai/Bessein fort is located at Durga Devi temple, Murud.
Church bell from Vasai fort at Durga Devi temple, Murud
Church bell on left in Durga devi temple, Murud.