There is Mumbai and then there is rest of the world. No, we are not being obnoxious. Mumbai really does have its own set of rules that most people find too bizarre to understand. From our very specific train schedule (8:07 ki local cannot be the same as 8:09 ki local), to our habit of measuring distance with time and never with kilometers, to getting stuck in traffic at 3AM in the night, we live a very unconventional life. If you are a Mumbaikar, here are 16 things we bet you've said at some point in your city life. These might sound super strange to everyone else, but if you live in the city you know this is how the rules work.
1. Is Amitabh Bachchan waving to his fans today?
Because if he is, you need to avoid the Juhu lane #TrafficJam
2. Wow 400 square foot for 50K rent, quite a steal!
Yeah, we haven't heard of a concept called spacious home.
3. I have reached Bandstand... meet me opposite SRK's house?
So what if we can't go in, we'll stand out and pretend to be famous.
4. Dude, Salman Khan is stuck at the same red light as I am.
The only place you would ever bump into stars is on the roads. Because, #TrafficJams
5. I take about forty-five minutes to reach work. I live nearby...
6. WOW you have a bathtub in your house?
Hey, we live in small houses okay!
7. Bhaiyya ek chicken soup dena, one by two.
One by two is a concept purely designed by people in the city.
8. I missed the 7:40 local and I took the 7:42 local instead. Damn, now I am going to be so late.
Only local train travellers understand the value of 120 seconds.
9. Vada pav is for Rs.12... so much inflation in the country.
And they charge extra for chatni... life is tough in Mumbai.
10. Arrey come no, it's just 2AM.
‘Coz the city never sleeps.
11. You want me to drop you home? Why? Its only 2AM.
Again, ‘coz the city never sleeps.
12. At 3AM: Dude I am stuck in major traffic on the highway.
3AM traffic jams and forever packed highway happens only in Mumbai.
13. Boss, do chai dena na please.
Nope, we aren't ordering the boss around. Boss = everyone who's name you don't know.
14. Today is my lucky day. I got space to sit on the train.
Even if you get the famous "fourth seat" on a seat meant for three people, you are lucky.
15. Are you from SoBo or MaKaBo?
We have our own secret language that talks about places you will never find on a map.