Photograph of General view of the rather church-like building, constructed in rubble masonry with a corrugated-iron roof, photographed in the 1870s by an unknown photographer. Sir Cowasji Jehangir Opthalmic Hospital was opened for patients on 21 July 1866. It originally accommodated 28 male and 12 female patients. Later a new building was constructed which contained an outpatient department, a major operating room, a nurses room, surgeon’s office, full accommodation for 30 patients and facilities for the instruction of students from Grant Medical College. The bulk of the operations performed here were cataract operations.